[Pdx-pm] Starting from scratch with Module::Build

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 16:12:06 PDT 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Michael G Schwern
# on Friday 01 July 2005 03:06 pm:

>On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:26:41PM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>> I think it just got added to Module::Build::Authoring in 1.9.
>Yeah, its in the alpha version.

Er.  Yeah.  I'm just going off of whatever CVS dumped on me.

>But it talks almost exclusively about the various detailed things you
> can do in Build.PL and not about basic things like where your modules
> and tests go.

Hmm.  Maybe we (them) need a Module::Newbie pod.

>I honestly don't bother with things like h2xs (especially h2xs)
> because their templates tend to make things seem WAY more complicated
> than they really are by providing "fill in the blanks" for all sorts
> of stuff you're unlikely to need.

That's part of why I'm trying to dig more into Module::Starter.  The
"I'm too lazy to write pod" default that h2xs gives is kind of annoying
to have to delete, etc., but then mkdir -p path/to/My/, mkdir .., vi
path/to/My/Module.pm is kind of a patternish sequence and I typically
do get bit by the "did not return a true value" complaint when I start
from scratch and forget to drop the 1 on the eof.

> I think h2xs has contributed
> greatly to the "writing modules is hard" myth.

I can't find it now, but I distinctly remember reading something like
"Always start with h2xs.\n"x3 in some documentation or other (was it in
the camel book?)

"...our schools have been scientifically designed to
prevent overeducation from happening."
--William Troy Harris