[Pdx-pm] Starting from scratch with Module::Build

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 16:12:06 PDT 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Michael G Schwern
# on Friday 01 July 2005 03:06 pm:

>On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:26:41PM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>> I think it just got added to Module::Build::Authoring in 1.9.
>
>Yeah, its in the alpha version.
>http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build-0.27_01/lib/Module/Buil
>d/Authoring.pod

Er.  Yeah.  I'm just going off of whatever CVS dumped on me.

>But it talks almost exclusively about the various detailed things you
> can do in Build.PL and not about basic things like where your modules
> and tests go.

Hmm.  Maybe we (them) need a Module::Newbie pod.

>I honestly don't bother with things like h2xs (especially h2xs)
> because their templates tend to make things seem WAY more complicated
> than they really are by providing "fill in the blanks" for all sorts
> of stuff you're unlikely to need.

That's part of why I'm trying to dig more into Module::Starter.  The
"I'm too lazy to write pod" default that h2xs gives is kind of annoying
to have to delete, etc., but then mkdir -p path/to/My/, mkdir .., vi
path/to/My/Module.pm is kind of a patternish sequence and I typically
do get bit by the "did not return a true value" complaint when I start
from scratch and forget to drop the 1 on the eof.

> I think h2xs has contributed
> greatly to the "writing modules is hard" myth.

I can't find it now, but I distinctly remember reading something like
"Always start with h2xs.\n"x3 in some documentation or other (was it in
the camel book?)

--Eric
--
"...our schools have been scientifically designed to
prevent overeducation from happening."