[Pdx-pm] Simple Expert ( or Decision Support ) System

Ovid publiustemp-pdxpm at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 12:26:40 PST 2005

--- "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders at acm.org> wrote:
> Anyone know of web based , (preferrably perl coded ) , expert or
> decision support system software?

Cross-replied from PLUG because I thought Perl folks might find this
interesting:

Ah, crud.  If you ask again in a few months, I'll have AI::Prolog
(http://search.cpan.org/~ovid/AI-Prolog-0.03/) stable and you'd be able
to whip it out with that.  Unfortunately, I have a job and only work on
it in my spare time, so it's only alpha and still requires that you
know Prolog :/

However, depending upon your needs, you could quite possibly use
FSA::Rules (http://search.cpan.org/~dwheeler/FSA-Rules-0.21/) for
something like this.  Plus, if you have a GraphViz installed, it can
print a graph of the underlying state machine so you can see if you've
modeled it correctly.  An example is at
http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/images/pg_rules.png.  Those are the
rules we are using at work to control how PostgreSQL gets installed.  I
wrote a lot of that module, so you have questions, you could shoot them
to me.

Yet another option, though it takes some work since the docs are awful:

Language::Prolog::Yaswi
(http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Language-Prolog-Yaswi/Language/Prolog/Yaswi.html).
 It's an interface to SWI-Prolog.  There are some caveats to using it
and I've written a bit about it at
http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/22708.    It's the fastest of the
bunch, but it's unmaintained and requires an older version of
SWI-Prolog :(

Cheers,
Ovid

=====
If this message is a response to a question on a mailing list, please send
follow up questions to the list.

Web Programming with Perl -- http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/cgi_course/