[Pdx-pm] (OT) SQL style question

David Wheeler david at kineticode.com
Thu Jan 13 15:19:24 PST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Kyle Dawkins wrote:

> But why does that have anything to do with column or table names?
> That information should all be in your O-R model, not in the DB
> schema.  The whole point of passing objects into (and receiving them
> out of) an O-R model is to *abstract* the workings of the underlying
> datastore.  If you're finding yourself wondering about this kind of
> thing, maybe the O-R abstraction is the problem (and in this case, not
> abstract enough it seems), not the underscores or periods or backticks
> or quotation marks in the column names...

It's the O-R abstraction that we're creating. We want to take advantage
of the features of each database to the fullest extent, so we're using
views to represent compound objects. In sort, we're using the database
as the O-R layer itself. But there need to be some conventions when
naming things.

> But... there are always good reasons to have a thin abstraction layer,
> and since I don't know all the details, it's definitely not my place
> to make any more statements about what you should or shouldn't do.
> How do you model classes?  And relationships?  And how do you fetch
> and save objects?  Maybe there's a way to get in there at the right
> point and map the columns in question to the objects in question
> without your app-level code ever needing to know about it.

The app-level code won't need to know, but the abstraction layer will,
and that's what we're working on.

Regards,

David