[Pdx-pm] (OT) SQL style question

Kyle Dawkins kyle at cepaso.com
Thu Jan 13 14:26:25 PST 2005

> We have views that reference more than one table.  Our views have a
> primary table they are based upon and fields from "non-primary tables."
>  To make it very clear which fields are which, there's been a bit of
> discussion regarding how to make it visually distinct that a particular
> field is from a table that is not the primary table of the view.  Which
> of the following is clearer?

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to know this at all?  If I were
an app developer, I wouldn't want to know -- or have to care -- which
table it came from.  The whole point of views (surely?) is to have the
DB do the muscle work of presenting to you, in a format that looks like
a unified table, data aggregated from different places.  If you require
your app layer to know that information, what's the point of doing it
in the first place?

Just my 2 cents... and I'm probably missing something...

Kyle
Central Park Software