[Pdx-pm] Subversion question

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Dec 13 13:31:18 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:51 -0800, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Kris Bosland
> # on Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:18 am:
> >Hi, I am starting to learn subversion but I would like to start to
> >use things before I really know what I am doing.  Does anyone know:
> > can I use local svn access from different machines across file
> > systems like samba?  Is this risky?
> You mean svn co file:///mountpoint/repos/path/ ?  I think the recommend
> against this even for NFS.

Actually, as long as you're using FSFS and not BDB, NFS is fine for
serving the repository or working copy.  I would expect the same would
apply for SMBFS/CIFS.  The problem you'll run into for the WC is that
unless your repository is also on a network FS that is mounted in the
same location on each host, the path to the repo will be wrong.  (Use
'svn info' to see what path it expects.)

Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd