[Pdx-pm] producing print quality pdfs

Jeff Lesh leffjesh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 06:53:34 PDT 2005

I need to create "on the fly" pdfs which are of high enough quality to
send as officially typeset stationery orders to a printer--as in an
offsite printing house.   I have looked at many solutions linked from a
great article on pdfzone () and have found pdflib as likely my best
option.  Pdflib has an opensource component here
(http://www.pdflib.org/products/pdflib/download-source.html) and it
supports and seems to have some examples for Perl.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about pdflib or other similar
solutions?

My main concern is that I am able to:
1) produce pdfs of high enough precision and quality (that means no
HTML to PDF converters);
2) if possible separate the static and dynamic aspects (i.e. allow
someone else--an art director/designer--to create the initial
templates, from which I can swap out things like TITLE, NAME, etc);
3) be reasonably easy to learn the library/module and to implement; and
4) be cheap or free.

Thanks,
Jeff