[Pdx-pm] DBD::mysql cont.

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Wed Mar 31 01:44:38 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:24:43PM -0800, James marks wrote:
> >	If you do 'perl -V' perl will show you much data about your perl
> >installation, including your INC path. Don't fool with anything in any
> >of those directories manually and you will go a long way toward not
> >hosing
> >your perl installation.
>
> Because I am new and inexperienced, I'm almost willing to just clear
> everything out of the /Library/Perl/5.8.1/ directory and start over.
> (That would still leave Perl itself installed on my machine, wouldn't
> it?) That probably sounds drastic but, to me, it almost sounds simpler
> in terms of making sure everything is properly installed.

	Doing this will probably gain you a painful headache. If you want to
clean this up, perhaps you could use apple's package management tool (whatever
that is) to reinstall perl. Just removing the directory may end up generating
some inconsistancy in a package management database somewhere.
	Reinstalling is usually pretty unpleasant because it involves
reinstalling all your favorite modules too. I would probably not go this
route unless you're really convinced you've done something really bad to
your main perl tree.

> I _really_ appreciate the help I'm getting from list members but some
> of the suggestions are difficult for me to understand and follow given
> my limited understanding of the system. I don't want to ask too many
> questions and become a pest but I also don't want to "smile and nod"
> when I don't really get it.

	If it were my box I'd make sure my path were what I expected it to be
(as root) and then go for install via -MCPAN again, e.g.:

$ sudo -s -u root
# echo $PATH
(path)
# perl -MCPAN -eshell
(etc.)

	It doesn't sound like you've done anything destructive (yet) to your
system or your base perl install, other than take up a few extra filesystem
bytes. If you're getting angry at your current progress you might just clear
out everything under .cpan/build/ and go from there. *shrug*

	Hth,

	Austin