[Pdx-pm] CGI & flushing filehandles

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Mar 24 23:14:41 CST 2004

I'm working on a CGI application that needs to sleep() a minute or two
before performing some final operations (it needs to send an e-mail to
an account that's being created, but the external process that creates
the account checks for new tasks every minute).  The problem is the the
page doesn't seem to finish loading regardless of whether I have $|=1
set or whether I close(STDOUT).  What does work is to fork(), sleep(),
then send the e-mail, but this seems rather kludgy to me.  Is this the
best way to handle this sort of thing?

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
* Naked Ape Consulting                   http://nakedape.cc  *
* Cisco Support & Sales          http://nakedape.cc/r/cisco  *