[Pdx-pm] Linus moving to portland

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Thu Jun 10 15:47:06 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:25:19PM -0700, publiustemp-pdxpm at yahoo.com wrote:
> --- Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> > Closer to his job?  Isn't that wherever he sits down to code and
> > communicate with the world?  Is there something at OSDL that he
> > physically needs to show up for?  Not time sucking meetings with
> > suits I hope!
>
> Because, despite what some people may claim to the contrary, many jobs are more difficult to do
> without face-to-face interaction with coworkers and customers -- just ask any programmer who's had
> to fix a mess of code that was outsourced "on the cheap."

I fully understand the face-to-face issue.  But Linus has been developing the kernel and doing what he does without needing to be in a particular physical location for over a decade.

If he needs to be in Portland for face-to-face are we soon going to hear of announcements about other luminaries moving here?  Marcello, Andrew, Alan, Erik, Peter, et.al.?

Think not.  I don't think that's the issue with Linus' move at all.

--
    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity