[Pdx-pm] RE: [Off Topic] *nix Question

Kevin Long kevin.long at iovation.com
Fri Jul 23 10:51:21 CDT 2004

One of the first things I do when an office gives me a windows box to be
my primary PC (outlook exchange etc) is install Cygwin on it. Quick and
easy hassle free installation. Tweak it so that its commands are
available from the windows command line as well as bash.
Newer versions also support running xwindows applications under windows.
I find that *nix by design lends itself to emulation better than windows
does. So when I need to run both platform (after a fashion) on one box
concurrently I use Cygwin. I also find that code written against Cygwin
versions of Apache, Mysql, PHP, Perl port back and forth to "real" linux
production platforms with much fewer compatibility issues than one would
have using "native windows" versions of these applications.

Kevin Ernest Long | Creator of Cool
Office:  +1 503 224 6010 x 248 |  Fax:   +1 503 224 1581  |  Home Office
& Mobile:  +1 503 888 6879