[Pdx-pm] RE: [Off Topic] *nix Question

Stout, Joel R Stout.Joel at Menloworldwide.com
Fri Jul 23 10:04:56 CDT 2004

Hola,

Looking for some advice.  I've been a M$ programmer for a while (ASP,
VB.Net, etc) but always kept a small amount of Perl knowledge in my
back pocket so I could miraculously glue everything together.  Now I
am being faced with a shift in environments.  Unix is the route my
department is taking and I must adapt.  I have heard a couple
suggestions about transitioning over - CoLinux, running RedHat under
VMWare, buying an old pc and putting Debian on it....

Basically I want to be able to learn more about Unix basics and do it
on my laptop - without changing over my main operating system.  Any
suggestions from the group?  Any experiences with CoLinux?

Thanks for any help,

Joel Stout (PDX PM Uberlurker)
Calaban on PerlMonks
EDI Systems Engineer

*My last email bounced because my address changed.  Hopefully you won't be bothered with two of these emails.