[Pdx-pm] How quickly could you learn Ruby?

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Fri Jan 23 10:40:31 CST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Raphael Almeria wrote:

> Well if they're offering Ruby classes at the company then what's the
> problem?  ; )

My thought exactly.  But management... oh, well I won't comment on that.

> I've never studied Ruby but I have studied Python, simply because there
> is so much momentum behind it, and I built a complete application in
> Python just to ensure that I would learn how to use a lot of the
> constructs of Pythonia.  Well, I would estimate that it probably took
> me about a week to absorb the language with the libraries being the
> most difficult aspect to figure out.

In my experience (I tried Python too before Ruby) Perl and Ruby seem much
closer philosophically than Perl and Python.   I suspect it's easier to go
from Perl -> Ruby than it is to go from Perl -> Python (it was in my
case).

> So I guess it would take me about a week to become productive in Ruby
> unless it was seriously more complicated than Python or Perl.
>

> Good luck with your project.  : )

Thanks.

Phil