[Pdx-pm] Computing Gestalt classes at Reed

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Sun Jan 18 21:58:14 CST 2004

I mentioned this at the last meeting, sorry for taking so long to post it up.
I'm teaching an informal class at Reed College this coming week entitled
"Computing Gestalt".  This is a class for computer users who want to know
something of what happens inside the black box when they click on a link in
web browser or type into a word processor.  Its a broad survey of how
computers work touching on things like: what makes up a modern PC; how does
a web connection work; how does computer privacy and encryption work; how
does one express human thinking into computer thinking...

Its a non-technical class, no prior knowledge of programming is required.
In fact, if you already are a programmer you might be bored.  This is ideal
for a friend that asks you lots of questions about what its like to be
a programmer.  Its at a level of complexity that your mom can handle.
Questions and interesting digressions are encouraged.

This is part of Reed College's Paideia, a time between academic semesters
when people are allowed to teach pretty much anything and usually do.  The
classes are very informal.  I'm not 100% sure what the official policy is
towards non-Reed folks attending, but I doubt anyone will mind.  Just act
like you belong there.

When:  This Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 3 to 5pm.

Where:  Reed College.  Classes will be in Eliot Hall.  Monday it will be in
	Eliot 126, Tuesday and Thursday in Eliot 414.  Here's a campus map.
        http://web.reed.edu/facilities_and_grounds/reedcampusmap.html
	Eliot is the building in the middle next to the roundabout.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Don't ask me lady, I live in beer.