[Pdx-pm] January Meeting

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Jan 12 19:38:10 CST 2004

>> The January meeting sounds great, but where is TBA?
>>
>> Seriously, do we have any ideas on this yet?

Josh> Austin Shultz recommended Fireside Lounge (google revealed this:
Josh> http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-wireless-hotspot-portland-oregon-or-us-fireside-coffee-lodge-46704.htm).

Josh> I have to talk to the owner tonight, but sounds like a go.  They require
Josh> that people actually buy things, but they seem pretty up for it.

I won't go there.  Last time I was there, I got into a tiff with the
owner about signage.  There's a sign displaying the VISA/MasterCard
logo and a notice that says "$0.50 surcharge for use of bank cards".
Well, they aren't allowed to do that by agreement with MC/Visa via
their bank.  When I confronted the owner, it was only after a few
rounds of probing that she finally clarified that they only charged
the fee if it was a *debit* card, not all bank cards.  I said the
sign's not clear to me, and I couldn't be sure if she wasn't charging
the fee for all cards, and not just debit cards.  Keywords: "blatent
ripoff if you don't know to ask".  After the challenge, she asked me
not to return, and I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

So, please pick a different spot.