postgres docs RE: [Pdx-pm] XP Project Management Tool

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Tue Dec 14 17:55:46 CST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:37:15PM -0700, Roth, Gabrielle wrote:
> I'm curious what exactly sucks/is user-hostile about it, as I've never
> had a problem finding what I need to know on-line or on the user list
> (though the list archive search feature is painfully slow).  Do you
> remember any specific examples of what's lacking?

Yes, I was looking for examples of how to use its geometric functions and
could find no examples that spelled out "ITS A STRING! YOU PASS COORDINATES
AS QUOTED STRINGS!"  They all described their arguments in terms which
required knowledge of the SQL standard or they just said: "box(X, Y)".

Furthermore, when I made a feature request about this it was rejected on
the grounds that the terms used were perfectly understandable... if you
read all the documentation.

This was back in Dec 2000 when I was writing Geo::TigerLine, so its not
a fair comparision with the present.  Looking at the docs for the geometric
functions now they are full of examples.  In fact I can't even find an older
copy of the docs which matches what I experienced back then.  They appear
to have improved quite a bit.

I still hate that indexes have to be created outside the "create table"
statement. ;)  I'm boggled that SQL does not appear to specify how to create

Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
We have returned to claim the pyramids.