[Pdx-pm] XP Project Management Tool

David E. Wheeler david at kineticode.com
Mon Dec 13 23:23:01 CST 2004

On Dec 13, 2004, at 9:12 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

>> The point is that the application require that you *don't* use InnoDB.
>
> Huh?  XPlanner explicitly asks for InnoDB.

D'oh! My lysdexia must've kicked in. I saw "no InnoDB".

/me eats crow.

> More importantly, why do you care what XPlanner uses?  That's like
> saying,
> "I won't use Foo.  Its written in Python."  These are internal issues
> that
> won't matter one bit to the end user!

I was just amused that it appeared to say that it's preferred
relational database was not, erm, relational. Again, I misread.

> If I was to be worried about any of the technical details of XPlanner
> it
> would be that its written in Java and thus I, personally, wouldn't know
> how to fix it.  But I use lots of programs that are written in
> languages
> I don't understand and probably using internal techiques I'd consider
> questionable.

Agreed. That's why I use Mail (for now).

> We now return to the MySQL FUD, already in progress.

   s/in progress/in postgres/;  # ;-)

> It supports UCS-2 and UTF8 now.
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Charset-Unicode.html

Yes, I know.

>> And now I'm starting to use views and triggers or rules more and more
>> not to mention functions, and MySQL doesn't support those, either.
>
> Rudimentary support for triggers is in 5.0.2.
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Triggers.html

I haven't tried the triggers yet.

> Views were added in 5.0.1
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_VIEW.html

I tried them, but their magic auto-updateness didn't work for any but
the simplest examples. But it's early yet. I'll look again when they're
a little closer to release.

> By "rule" do you mean "constraint"?  MySQL doesn't appear to have them.
> Its something I do miss.

No, I mean RULEs, which are slightly different to but similar to
triggers. In PostgreSQL, you attach rules to views so that you can
execute update, insert, and deletes against them. SQLite does the same
thing but uses triggers.

> Functions and procedures are in.  C-based functions have been there for
> a while.  Not sure when user defined procedures went in.
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_PROCEDURE.html

About time. I don't see a version number reference there, though. But
5.0 is shaping up to be an interesting release. I look forward to
seeing it late next year.

Cheers,

David