[Pdx-pm] XP Project Management Tool

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Mon Dec 13 23:12:02 CST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 06:48:48PM -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2004, at 5:45 PM, chromatic wrote:
>
> >Have you actually tried MySQL 4.1 with an InnoDB table?  How about a
> >4.0.x from later than, say, May 2004?
>
> The point is that the application require that you *don't* use InnoDB.

Huh?  XPlanner explicitly asks for InnoDB.

More importantly, why do you care what XPlanner uses?  That's like saying,
"I won't use Foo.  Its written in Python."  These are internal issues that
won't matter one bit to the end user!

If I was to be worried about any of the technical details of XPlanner it
would be that its written in Java and thus I, personally, wouldn't know
how to fix it.  But I use lots of programs that are written in languages
I don't understand and probably using internal techiques I'd consider
questionable.

We now return to the MySQL FUD, already in progress.

> I wouldn't use MySQL without referential integrity, transactions, etc.

InnoDB supplies transactions and referential integrity.

> >I'm trying to divide the world into people who've actually tried real
> >applications and failed recently and people who haven't.
>
> I haven't used it, no, because until 4.1, MySQL didn't support Unicode.

It supports UCS-2 and UTF8 now.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Charset-Unicode.html

> And now I'm starting to use views and triggers or rules more and more
> not to mention functions, and MySQL doesn't support those, either.

Rudimentary support for triggers is in 5.0.2.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Triggers.html

Views were added in 5.0.1
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_VIEW.html

By "rule" do you mean "constraint"?  MySQL doesn't appear to have them.
Its something I do miss.

Functions and procedures are in.  C-based functions have been there for
a while.  Not sure when user defined procedures went in.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_PROCEDURE.html

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary