[Pdx-pm] traversing (and accessing values in) a hash of hashes

Dennis McNulty dennis at giantfir.com
Mon Dec 13 00:48:16 CST 2004

It seems that we're adding to the ferocity of Mt St. Helens, here. I can
tell you my experience. I've programmed in perl on a number of MS-Win
and Linux systems, but I've never used perldoc to see documentation.

My favorite for MS-Win is the port from ActiveState, because all the
documentation has been converted to HTML and displays uniformly across
all Win versions in a Web browser. Then the perldsc doc page is
available just by clicking a link on the index frame. You can scroll up
and down a help page with mouse or keyboard.

For Linux (specifically Mandrake), I use the KDE help center and go to
the Linux Manual pages section for documentation. The display and
scrolling usear actions are mostly the same as for a browser. The only
disadvantage is that you have to know which "man" page the topic is
classified under.

As to DOS boxes on MS-Win: In the 9x series, a box can't be enlarged
beyond 24x80 and there's no scrollback capability. In NT, 2000 and XP,
the box can be enlarged to even beyond the screen size, although I don't
know what the upper limits are. In my everyday work on Win2K, I set the
display size to 26x132 and the scroll size to 1000x132.

- Dennis McNulty