[Pdx-pm] UNIX NL verses MS(DOS) CRLF

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Tue Aug 31 12:52:07 CDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:25:17AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I am processing files on a Windows system from a Linux system that has the
> share as a SMB mount.  I'm using Marc Overmeer's Mailbox collection to
> process spam folders (mailboxen) and any time the process (re)writes the
> file I end up with NLs instead of CRLFs.

If I'm wrong, someone will step in and correct me.

The EOL for writing is controlled by the Output Record Seperator, AKA $\
this is different than the Input Record Sep. of $/.
you can explicitly set the beast and it can be different than $/.
See `man perlvar` for more information.
This means you can have this code snip:
  $\ = "\r\n";
  open IFILE, "<$unixEOLfile";
  open OFILE, ">$dosEOLfile";
  while (<IFILE>) {
          print OFILE;
  close IFILE;
  close OFILE;

    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity
   Get Fixed:  http://www.dampfixie.org
  The fortune cookie says:
You must know that a man can have only one invulnerable loyalty, loyalty
to his own concept of the obligations of manhood.  All other loyalties
are merely deputies of that one.
		-- Nero Wolfe