[Pdx-pm] unhappy CPAN on OS X

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 19:51:18 CST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:29:53PM -0800, Tom Phoenix wrote:
> > It appears to not be able to use LWP or Net::FTP to fetch tarballs, but
> > it takes *forever* to figure this out before it drops to using vanilla
> > ftp.
>
> It sounds as if vanilla FTP is configured to get around your
> firewall/proxy setup, but Net::FTP and LWP might not be. Maybe?

Specificly, Net::Config::NetConfig{ftp_ext_passive} and ftp_int_passive.
Why Net::Config defaults to false for these is beyond me.

You can control this without touching the Net::Config source code by
setting the FTP_PASSIVE environment variable to 1,

> Check out Net::Config, which is used with Net::FTP. Is there something
> analogous with LWP?

LWP probably just uses Net::Config.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Don't be a lover, girl, I'd like to shamelessly hump your inner child.