[Pdx-pm] Perl executables...

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Wed May 21 20:09:37 CDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Chris Dawson wrote:

> In corporate atmospheres people are very wary about installing anything
> with an installer,

Why would you trust someone to give you an opaque binary if you don't
trust them to give you an installer? Or are you saying that that's what
they do, even if it doesn't make sense? :-)

> it is basically perl+script in one big file, but size is not so much an
> issue in these situations as is the machine lock down that their IT
> departments have imposed.

Another policy that doesn't make sense to me. If you can install and run
an opaque .exe file, why can't you run an installer program that installs
a Perl program and (optionally, as needed) perl and some modules? After
all, the opaque .exe could do the installation. In fact, that sounds like
the way to sneak it past 'em.

Cheers!

--Tom Phoenix