[Pdx-pm] Why can't you just set a PM date and keep it?

Brian Ingerson ingy at ttul.org
Fri May 9 22:29:24 CDT 2003

On 09/05/03 17:26 -0700, Jeff Zucker wrote:
> Benjamin J. Tilly wrote:
>
> >Joshua,
> >
> >It seems that you have little appreciation
> >

> Hi Ben,
>
> Perl mongers, at least here in Portland, seems to work with everyone
> saying something rather than one person saying it for the rest of us.
> Joshua made some proposals, there were counterpropsals and suggestions
> of preferences by several others, all here on the list.  Next time, join
> the list and write in and say "I'm going to be in pdx between X and Y,
> any chance the meeting could be then?" and I'm sure Joshua and the rest
> of us would have tried to accomodate.  The downside of changeable dates
> is they get changed, the upside is we can be flexible to requests from
> individuals.  Sorry it didn't work out this time around.

I have to say that having a regular meeting date is key to running a
long term successful user group meeting. I joined SPUG (Seattle) in
August of 1998. I don't think they have ever missed a meeting. Big ups
to Tim Maher for his perseverence.

I know that we need to find a new regular meeting place, but once that
is found we should get into a routine of monthly technical meetings on
dates published well in advance.

I'm all for doing dim sum and arcade night and other activities
together, but I think they should always be in addition to a regularly
scheduled technical meeting.

This is, of course, my personal opinion. Ben may have come across a
little gruff because of his disappointment, but I think his expectation
is valid; especially for a reputable PM such as PDX.

Then again, I would expect a *really* good PM to be able to assemble on
an hour's notice when a Perl Monk was travelling amongst us. London.pm
gave me that sort of welcome. Maybe we can have a round or three when
Ben arrives.

Cheers, Brian