[Pdx-pm] Perl organization

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Fri Mar 28 02:16:57 CST 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 02:29:02PM -0800, Joshua Keroes wrote:
> We're redeploying Perl at our company. Thus far we'll probably install
> Perl 5.8.0 into /opt/perl580 (and later versions into similar
> directories). We'll also start using ingy's only module for better
> testing and fallback support. A proposal about C libraries has
> also been launched about where to put the C libraries that the Perl
> modules rely on.
>
> This is the currently proposed setup:
>
> /opt/perl580 		- perl prefix
> /opt/perl580/_only	- only's base directory
> /opt/perl580/clib	- C libraries used by this Perl.
>
> What are the pros and cons of putting C libraries under this directory?
> Would it be better to use a tool like Gnu stow instead? Moreover, is
> this a Good Idea, a Bad Idea or an Ugly Idea?

/opt/perl580/_only should probably be /opt/perl580/version/ or something
more descriptive of what its for rather than what generated it.

As for /opt/perl580/clib...
Pros... can't really think of any.
Cons... lots of other things may rely on the same C library (thus, a library)
        which means you either need two copies installed or have programs
        linking with /opt/perl580/clib which makes little sense.

Probably better to use Stow and let it put links into the proper lib and
include directories.  Either that or use existing packages from your OS
vendor... except that's Sun isn't it?  Dunno how hard it is to make your
own Solaris package.

--
That you be hanged by the neck, but not until you are dead, but that you
be taken down again, and whilst you are yet alive, your bowels be taken