[Pdx-pm] RE:Perl & XS

forehead nforrett at wgz.com
Wed Mar 19 21:19:49 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Brian Ingerson wrote:

> > > Funny you should bring that up. Where's Ingy? :)
> > >

> > While being cryptic above was fun:
> >
> > See the in development, though very exciting FreePAN:
> > 	http://freepan.org
>
> FreePAN should definitely be extended to C. I think it require a little
> bit of design, but I'd really like to see it. It would be great to have
> a repository of C "modules", and I think it would be a great resource
> for people learning how to create sharable C libraries.

</lurk>

Wow. This is a pretty spiffy idea. It sure wouldn't be easy, though. Unlike
Perl, Ruby, or other relatively "pure" languages, you have to deal with dozens
of vendors, and decades of cruft and incompatibilities. And that's if you just
limit yourself to Unix derivatives. Things get ever so much more interesting
if you want to add in Win32, Classic Mac (it's probably safe enough to lump
OSX with the *nix crowd), etc.

1. There should probably be a way to select a "module" and have it built from
   source and installed, or select an appropriate pre-compiled version.

2. There's got to be some fairly standard mechanisim to turn source into
   a binary. Perhaps auto(conf|make) would be appropriate. But you'd have to
   be take care that the FreePAN installed stuff either played well with the
   OS-supplied packages (which would be a virtual impossibility), or store the
   results in some FreePAN managed directory structure.

3. If the latter, it'd be nice to provide pkg-config like functionality to
   easily get the appropriate compiler / linker arguments. That'd require
   tracking dependency information sufficient to ensure that the linker
   arguments were ordered correctly.

   -lImlib before -lX11 and all is heaven. -lX11 before -lImlib and all is
   glib.

4. There are probably a thousand other details I'm missing....

-- Nick

I don't have suspenders big enough for *those* disbelief pants.
			- chromatic