[Pdx-pm] perl -d

Joshua Keroes jkeroes at eli.net
Fri Jun 27 01:40:38 CDT 2003

On (Thu, Jun 26 18:15), Austin Schutz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 04:24:28PM -0700, Joshua Keroes wrote:
> > How do I get the perl debugger to open up in a different terminal
> > window? Presuming that I'm on pts/1 and I want to open the debugger on
> > pts/2, I think it should be as simple as setting the TTY PERLDB_OPTS
> > variable like so:
> >
> > 	PERLDB_OPTS='TTY=pts/2' perl -d prog.pl
> >

> > That doesn't do anything differently than just `perl -d prog.pl`.
> > Help?
>
> you presumably tried TTY=/dev/pts/2?

Nope, that did the trick, well, half anyway.

	PERLDB_OPTS='TTY=/dev/pts/2' perl -de 1

displays the debugger but won't accept input to it on either pts. Close
but no cigar. :-)

> You might try using kibitz or screen. You'd have to look at the source
> and/or try running it under strace (or equiv) to figure out why it's
> not doing what you expect otherwise.

Those won't quite do the trick for this problem. I'm trying to debug a
program that is itself run by another. Specifically, our new server
launches an article filter at startup. Every article is streamed through
this program during the article posting process. The program isn't
filtering articles correctly and I'd like a closer look.

-J