[Pdx-pm] April 2003 Meeting

Joshua Keroes jkeroes at eli.net
Thu Apr 3 15:38:27 CST 2003

Next Wedsnesday is the next PDX.pm meeting. We have not one but two
speakers this month!

Curtis Poe has been cashing in his mad-scientist points to bring you:

        use strict 'sql';

        my $sql  = 'SELECT *'              and die "Don't do that!";
        my $data = $sth->fetchrow_hashref  and die "Or that!";
        my $sql  = 'SELECT this FROM that' and die "Still bad";

        use base 'Class::DBI';             # much better

        Many people misuse SQL. While some of the above can be fine for
        a short script, we should be careful about how SQL is used in a
        production environment. This talk will detail why the above
        constructs can lead to non-scalable code.

        First, we'll show some examples of bad SQL and then move on to
        better SQL with bad implementations (hint: I don't avoid
        &DBI::fetchrow_hashref for performance reasons). We'll finish
        with a quick discussion of how object persistence modules can
        help lead us lead us out of the quagmire.

That's either grounds for a religious war or a healthy debate! Bring
your arguments and/or armaments and we'll find out.

---

Next up is Brian "I write a new module every week" Ingerson with guest
speaker Ward Cunningham. Together they'll talk about Test::FIT.
Test::FIT is an acronym for "Test Colon Colon Framework for Integration
Tests" which is a little redundantly-redundant but that's that.

Ward invented FIT to display a project's test status on the web so
everyone knows what works and what doesn't work.

Ingy implemented the framework in tight, clean object-oriented Perl.

A picture's worth a thousand words. See all those words at an actual
project that uses FIT: http://www.neocoretechs.com/results.html

---

        Who:    Curtis Poe, Brian Ingerson, Ward Cunningham and you!
        What:   April 2003 PDX.pm meeting
        When:   Wed 9 Apr 2003 6PM-8PM
        Where:  Old Market Pub & Brewery - Map at http://snurl.com/kk2
        Why:    Need you even ask?

Schedule:
        6:00:   Social Hour - pool, shuffleboard, chatter, beer, etc.
        7:00:   Curtis Poe - use strict 'sql';
        7:45:   Intermission
        8:00:   Brian Ingerson, Ward Cunningham - Test::FIR

-Joshua