auto-backup across the net

Kari Chisholm karic at
Thu Jun 20 17:33:19 CDT 2002

Here's the situation.  I'm building a mission-critical web-based
database.  It's hosted on a server at, say,

If that server goes down, even for an hour, I want to be able to
immediately tell my clients to switch to another server (at another
location) at, say,

In order to accomplish this kind of seamless transition, I need to
ensure that data is backed up across the net in more-or-less real time
- perhaps, every 5 minutes we ship changes to the data across the net.

Is there an obvious solution or technology that I should be thinking
of?  I'm almost exclusively a Perl guy, so solutions with Perl are a
good thing, but I'm open to other thoughts...