perl -e is acting funny in a chroot jail

Elmshauser, Erik erike at
Thu Jul 18 15:02:43 CDT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Schutz [mailto:tex at]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 11:30 AM
To: Elmshauser, Erik
Cc: pdx-pm-list at
Subject: Re: perl -e is acting funny in a chroot jail

	/tmp should be set to 1777 to prevent other folks from monkeying
your /tmp files. It is a security issue w/out the 1.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of security inside the chroot jail, but from
outside the jail it's important, the sticky bit is now set.  Thanks.

	Try running truss/strace on it. That will show you what it's
to do.

Good idea here too.  I used strace to find that it was failing to open
/dev/null and dieing.  I created a dev null inside the jail and now it's
running fine.

Thank you Randal and Austin!