Fwd: Free Books from Sams Publishing for your User Group

Lance Mazon lancem at colubs.com
Mon Jul 8 17:42:45 CDT 2002

  I'm a lurker who has yet to attend a meeting, but even so, perhaps a
previous experience of mine could help out...  A user group I was a member
of had both a software and a book library.  One person was designated as the
Librarian.  Basically, this person was responsible for maintaining the
libraries.  The software library was brought to each monthly meeting, along
with a catalog of all books available.  If somebody wanted a book from the
library, they informed the librarian which book they wanted, and the book
was either brought to the next meeting, or the user could travel to the
librarian's house if the need was urgent.
  This worked out well because the software was easily loaded into a small
vehicle in less then a couple minutes, and the librarian wasn't constantly
lugging the books around.  They kept them in a nice secure place, and
everybody was happy.
  Now the other side of the story: Nobody ever checked out books.
Occasionally somebody would browse the list and request a book be brought to
the next meeting, but, chances are the librarian would forget(which annoyed
the user), or the user wouldn't need the book anymore(which annoyed the
librarian).
  I guess what I'm trying to say is that the idea of an online version of
the books being maintained is probably much more feasible.  Hardcopy books
are great, but usually are needed "now", and the typical user will either go
buy the needed book, or borrow it from a friend or local library rather than
wait for the next meeting to come around.

Lance Mazon
lancem at colubs.com
Senior Programmer - R&D
Columbia Ultimate, Inc.