Fwd: Free Books from Sams Publishing for your User Group

Joe Oppegaard joe at joppegaard.com
Mon Jul 8 17:09:07 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Ovid wrote:

> 1.  Establishing a pdx.pm library would be nice, but who would be the librarian, and where would
> the library be kept?

Every month someone could volunteer to hold on to the books until the
next meeting, and if anyone wanted to use one, whoever was the
"librarian" that month could setup a place to meet and exchange books.

> 2.  If we don't establish a library (I don't see how it would be feasible), who gets the books?  I
> could just write back to this person and get an armload of free books, but that doesn't seem very
> fair.

I think the solution above would take care of this. Although, maybe it
should be someone who has been around the meeting at least a few times.
They also should probably leave some type of contact information
(besides email) where someone could get a hold of them to pick up the
books if they couldn't make it to the next meeting or whatever.

> 3.  Is anyone willing to write reviews on the books to post on our Web site?

Hard to say, maybe if we saw the titles. I for one would be willing to write
reviews for a free book or two. ;)

> 4.  [insert your own question here, even if you don't answer it]
4. Would people be willing to volunteer to hold on to the books and be
responsible for getting them to people who want them?

I would expect the common way to deal with that would be for whomever
wants the book to make it as easy as possible for the librarian.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Tom Phoenix wrote:
> But if (_if_) somebody wants to review these and
> post the review on the website, then (A) the reviewer should get to keep
> the reviewed book and (B) we should get at least one other publisher to
> contribute books. I'm pretty sure that we could get at least two
> publishers from the set { O'Reilly, Manning, Addison Wesley } to match the
> contribution.

If that happened, it sounds like this could be a pretty worth while endevor.

> But it sounds like more trouble than it's worth, unless
> somebody out there really wants some free books.

Although, this could turn out to be true also.

--
-Joe Oppegaard
http://joppegaard.com

TIMTOWTDI