Perl - RE: a book I want

Allison Randal al at shadowed.net
Tue Jan 8 03:02:43 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:49:08PM -0800, Raphael Almeria wrote:

> Hmmm...why not just write it yourself or get someone else to write it
> and post it to perlmonks.org.  I'm sure that if you place a pointer to
> it on slashdot.org that many perl programmers out there will hear
> about it. This assumes that O'Reilly isn't interested in publishing a
> short how-to.

I did think of it as a book I'd like to write, but nobodies like me
rarely get published. I know, it took me several years, some chance
connections and a really unique topic to get published in the linguistic
field. But, I figure that if I'm interested in a book like this, others
might be too. Hey, maybe I'll get to encourage whoever does write the
material or is writing it.

> I've followed the Apocalypses and Exegeses and I admit that some of
> the items talked about are impenetrable perhaps because they lack
> context, are from functional programming or lack sufficient
> explanation ...

I think their target audience is pretty high level. Which is exactly
what it needs to be to get the language developed.

> ... but others are very cool.  I really like the new hyper
> operator that allows you to do this:
>
> @mean = (@data1 ^- @data2)/scalar(@data1);
>
> all of a sudden you've gotten rid of a for loop and condensed it into
> one nice compact statement.

Yup. Loads of cool stuff. I want other people to catch that excitement.

al
TIMTOWTDI