performance question

Tom Keller kellert at ohsu.edu
Fri Feb 15 12:11:22 CST 2002

I hope this isn't off topic. I'm using perl for the following:
Parse a list of start and stop positions for a fairly large (217061
chars) file of DNA sequence data (m/[acgt]+/i - hopefully Not
alphabetized!). I have about 200 putative genes demarcated with these
start and stop positions within that sequence that I wish to further
analyze. From a performance pov, am I better off reading the same
larger file 200 times or should I read the large file into memory,
create 200 smaller files, then pass each of these to my next program?

Thanks,
Tom
--
Thomas J. Keller, Ph.D.