Intro to Perl

josh hoblitt jhoblitt at mysun.com
Sat Feb 9 22:39:52 CST 2002

Curtis,

It being many years (4+) since my last programming course this comment
may be out of date.  But I've found that biggest (and most usefull)
feature that all intro classes seem to skip is presistance.  I think
most perl courses go into simple file IO but that it would be highly
useful to also cover the basics of DBI/DBD.  I'm not advocating teaching
SQL syntax but simply how to connect and make queries.  I think that
will atleast open to the door to more useful, perhaps buisness class,
applications as the students progresses on their own.

I'd also like to suggest a community review process of the course
content that would hopefully lead to base material for intro to perl
courses (for instructors).  Once or twice I've considered giving a
lecture on perl (although that maybe optomistic of my own perl skills)
but been intimidated by the sheer volumne of matterial that needs to be
covered.

Good luck,

-Joshua Hoblitt

jhoblitt at mysun.com