[Pdx-pm] Strange Random coredumps
jkeroes at eli.net
Thu Dec 19 16:07:52 CST 2002
On (Thu, Dec 19 13:57), Mark Hartley wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:37:57PM -0800, Joshua Keroes wrote:
> > On (Thu, Dec 19 12:35), Mark Hartley wrote:
> > > A little background as to what I'm doing:
> > > I have a whole bunch of applications that I've written which run
> > > as a CGI under Apache (1.3.26) on a FreeBSD (4.6.2-RELEASE-p4) machine.
> > > There are actually 3 of these machines, one of which is running SSL.
> > > All 3 machines are using Perl 5.005_03.
> > >
> > > The applications are talking to a MS SQL server 2000 database (not by
> > > my choice). I am using DBI:Sybase drivers to talk to the db. I know
> > > that I could use ODBC drivers as well, but right now I'm using the
> > > Sybase ones.
> > What version of Perl, what DBI version, what DBD::Sybase version?
> > Are the coredumps written to user apache's home directory (or
> > somewhere else?
> Perl 5.005_03
> DBD::Sybase version 0.91
> DBI version 1.20
> There is a newer version of DBD::Sybase out, but 0.91 is the most recent
> version that will work on FreeBSD to talk to a SQL server 2000 database.
> (As far as I can tell).
> > You're going to want a coredump for these. Since the Perl debugger
> > isn't helping, this is most likely the only way to tell where the
> > culprit really is.
> I did what you mention with one of the core files from one of my command
> line utils. Here is what I got (this doesn't really mean much to me):
> (gdb) bt
> #0 0x281e93d8 in XS_DBI_dispatch () from /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/auto/DBI/DBI.so
> #1 0x280b5ff6 in Perl_pp_entersub () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #2 0x280e9696 in perl_call_sv () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #3 0x280ad9e0 in Perl_sv_clear () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #4 0x280adeb1 in Perl_sv_free () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #5 0x2809ab5b in Perl_free_tmps () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #6 0x280b1070 in Perl_pp_nextstate () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #7 0x2807f11d in Perl_runops_standard () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #8 0x280e8ef0 in perl_run () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> #9 0x8048e75 in main ()
> #10 0x8048d61 in _start ()
The top line is the most important line - that's where it blew up. Given
that we blew up in DBI, you have DBI-1.20, and DBI-1.32 is the latest
(it was released 1 Dec 2002), I would recommend upgrading that module on
You may also find DBI's internal debug tracing to be helpful:
More information about the Pdx-pm-list