[Pdx-pm] Meeting followup

Colin Kuskie ckuskie at dalsemi.com
Mon Aug 19 11:53:21 CDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 08:48:40PM -0700, chromatic wrote:
> On Saturday 17 August 2002 17:54, Greg Minter wrote:
>
> >   I'm familiar with CPAN. It was the moule CPAN.pm that I wasn't familiar
> > with. I've used ActiveState's PPM program instead. Does the ActiveState
> > implementation of CPAN.pm work well with windows?
>
> It does, with two provisios. First, you must have a 'make' utility installed.
> 'nmake.exe' works.  You'll also be limited to pure-Perl modules, unless you
> have Visual Studio available to compile XS modules.

Add 1 more provision.  When you first use CPAN.pm it will ask you for a
list of CPAN mirrors that are close to you.  Whatever you do, do NOT
choose sourceforge.net.  A while ago they changed how their downloads
work, and it completely messed up my CPAN.pm installation.  I had to go
and manually hack CPAN/Config.pm in order to get it working again.

Colin