Project Help Wanted

Curtis Poe cp at onsitetech.com
Mon Nov 5 17:07:55 CST 2001

As some of you may know, there are plenty of text adventures that have been
started in Perl, but I haven't seen any completed, except for MUDs
(multi-user dungeons).  I'd like to actually finish one.

If you're not familiar with these, they basically print out a room
description and you type things like "pick up the gun and shoot Ovid" and
the interpreter figures out what you mean and responds accordingly.

I've started fleshing out the basics of how this would work and actually
have code written to handle some of the database work.  I'm wondering if
there are any local Perl people who would be willing to devote time to such
a project?

Skills desired (all skills negotiable, except for the Perl skills):
  Good Perl skills, including object-oriented design.
  Database design.
  Linguistics experience would be helpful.
  A little bit of free time :)

Knowledge of at least one foreign language would also be helpful, expecially
if you have experience working with Perl and this language.

Of course, this is strictly volunteer and I intend that it be freely
available to anyone who cares to use it.  If you don't have the time to
code, but you'd like to sit around and brainstorm design issues, that would
be great.  If you can contribute time, but are worried that you may have to
drop out at some point, that's fine, too.  I'm hardly a stickler when I
can't afford to pay anyone.

Cheers,
Curtis "Ovid" Poe
Senior Programmer