parsing question

mikeraz at mikeraz at
Thu Mar 22 13:57:16 CST 2001

I'm parsing a web form generated data set that looks like:

name:   data
fname:  data
time3:30-6:00:	data
gunk-o-rama:	data

The colons are followed by spaces or end of line, never tabs.

I thought that
	($fieldname, $data) = split /: */;
would do the trick, but that ended up splitting the time entry at the first

Huh?  '3' ne ' ' so what am I misunderstanding here?

And no, I did NOT design the web form that generates this.

    Michael Rasmussen   mikeraz at
   Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity
     But keep in mind:
A couple more shots of whiskey, women 'round here start looking good.

		[something about a 10 being a 4 after a six-pack?  Ed.]