on Impatience

Daniel Chetlin daniel at chetlin.com
Fri Oct 27 16:02:02 CDT 2000

I would like to see PDX.pm revive itself. This is my attempt to help.

The company I work for has access to a large conference room, and I've
cleared with them the idea of having technical meetings there. We're in
Lake Oswego, a few blocks from the 217/I-5 interchange. The conference
room should be able to fit 30 comfortably seated, and more if necessary.

My proposed plan of action is to have a social meeting sometime within
the next week, and at that meeting try to plan a tech meeting for maybe
two weeks from now. Where we do the social meeting doesn't matter.

The conference room is not available on weekends, but can be had at any
time after 5pm during the week, and can go as late as we want. The
earlier we decide on a date and time, the better.

What I would like to hear from everyone is:

  * Whether there are enough interested people to bother about this
  * Where and when we should do the social meeting
  * What potential topics there would be for a tech meeting

I am willing to talk about anything, though I don't have any particular
topic in mind right now. In discussing possibilities with a co-worker,
we came up with a few ideas:

  * HTML::Parser and friends
  * RExen
  * Overloading operators
  * Generating dynamic web content (beyond CGI.pm)

That's just really off the top of our heads, though, and meant to spark
ideas. I'm also working on a paper about default scoping in Perl, but
it's mostly talking about how other languages do it, so I'm not sure
it'd be of interest.

Oh, one final thing: unless someone has a projector, the best we'll be
able to do for presentations are whiteboards and overheads. There is a
large TV in the conference room, but I suspect even if we went to the
trouble of getting converters, the resolution would be bad enough that
it'd be useless. So probably no demos.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

-dlc
TIMTOWTDI