[PBP-pm] Reviewing PBP recommended modules?

Chris Dolan chris at clotho.com
Tue Nov 29 07:56:56 PST 2005

On Nov 24, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Alfie John wrote:

> Usually when I go to CPAN, I am there to get a module and use it. I
> have no intention of pulling it apart. I think that having a PBP
> namespace for the sake of having a namespace is kind of silly. Just
> because it follows a BP doesn't mean it works!
>
> Maybe what is needed is a new option in 'make dist' when building
> distributions to show that it follows *a* PBP?

In my opinion the best way to document this is in POD.  In my
modules, I'm starting to document the version of Perl::Critic that
I've used to validate the distribution.

Someday perhaps this could be a field in META.yml.  To do that, we
would have to invent some notation to indication which coding style
was employed (e.g. a list of Test::Perl::Critic policies that pass).
Note: I am definitely not advocating this idea, just tossing it out
there.

Personally, I'm MUCH more interested in the test coverage of a module
than its coding style.  I think the former is a better indicator of
quality, although I do believe the latter is highly valuable for ease-
of-use.

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)