[PBP-pm] Book review of PBP

Andrew Savige ajsavige at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 19 05:26:32 PST 2005

--- Paul Barry wrote:
> I've written a review of it for Linux Journal, which is
> accessible here:
>
>    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8567

Which reminds me I did an article on PBP a while back:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=500556

and gave a talk to Sydney.pm, the (crappy) slides available here:

http://perl.net.au/download/pbp-slides.tar.gz

I'm interested to hear opinions on:

1) What new guidelines would you like to see added to the book?

2) What guidelines do you disagree with or not follow?

PBP is already a large book and it's somewhat arbitrary to decide
how many "non Perl" tips (e.g. use a revision control system) to
put in such a book. That said, and as mentioned in the perlmonks
node above, I'd enjoy reading new guidelines on:

* "Use an automated (one action) build system"

* "Invest in code reviews"

* "Design and write error-safe code"

* "Don't pessimize prematurely"

* Tips on coding for concurrency

* Tips on coding for portability

* Tips on "Orthogonality and the DRY principle"

* Tips on communication in software teams

* Tips on using static and dynamic code analysis tools

As for guidelines I disagree with, while I found the funky new
modules fascinating, I feel some of them are not *yet* mature and
proven enough to be classified as "best practice". For example,
last I heard, Class::Std cannot be used in multi-threaded and
mod_perl environments ... and there were some glitches reported
with version.pm and the PAUSE indexer:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=504425
http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=14782
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=503983

Oh, and the implementation of the "In-situ arguments" guideline
on page 304 needs tightening up as dicussed in:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=488824

/-\