[PBP-pm] PBP::Table Suggestions

C. Garrett Goebel ggoebel at goebel.ws
Fri Nov 18 18:07:28 PST 2005

I've been spending time recently munging the results of database queries
into html tables. I found myself working with:

o  column _and_ row headers
o  calculating sums
o  adding cells calculated from cells relative to the record
o  formatting cell data
o  wrapping cell data with forms so a click will use the cell's
   and/or other record data as criteria for a drill down query
o  collating summarized results of multiple queries into new tables
o  pivots

  Data::Table (http://search.cpan.org/~ezdb/Data-Table-1.43/)
  Data::Tabular (http://search.cpan.org/~gam/Data-Tabular-0.24/)

I can see a need to support:
o  output tables as text, csv, html, xml
o  clone tables
o  merge tables by columns or rows
o  sort by column or row
o  group by with aggregates
o  add, insert, delete, change ordering of columns or rows
o  select matching columns or rows

Are there any other CPAN module anyone would suggest I look at?

I'm not particularly interested in reinventing a database or
spreadsheet in Perl, though I'd probably be interested in any CPAN
modules you could recommend that take a go at implementing them.
Really, I would just like to take a go at writing a nice flexible
module for dealing with tabular data written to PBP standards.

I've mocked up an interface, but would like to cast the net wider before
I settle in to the task...

cheers,

Garrett