[PBP-pm] Handling fractions of seconds

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Fri Dec 23 14:59:16 PST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, David Wheeler wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Tolkin, Steve wrote:
>
>> Two questions:
>> 1.  What date module supports fractional seconds.
>> Ideally it would be in the perl 5 core.
>
> DateTime supports nanoseconds, and of course all multiples of
> nanoseconds. The relevant methods include:
>
>   fractional_second()
>   millisecond()
>   microsecond()
>   nanosecond()
>
> It's not in the core, of course. Perhaps someone can convince P5P to
> add it for Perl 5.10.

Only if someone else besides me wants to maintain it _in_ the core.  They
still use Perforce for Perl source control, which makes dealing with it a
PITA, and I have plenty of work to do without adding more work to sync
things up every time I make a release.

It's got a buttload of dependencies, too.

Personally, I'd just as soon see _nothing_ in the core so folks who
complain about "it's not core" would have nothing to complain about ;)

-dave