[PBP-pm] Working with dates

Joshua Hoblitt jhoblitt at ifa.hawaii.edu
Thu Dec 22 15:55:02 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:44:31PM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:
> POSIX is in the core.
>
> If I need Date::Parse I'll use Date::Format, but if I only need
> POSIX::strftime I lose one external dependency.
>
> I don't think I'll write programs that depend on the complex chain
> of DateTime modules when I could just use a core module.
>
> And that reminds me, another thing I like about Date::Manip is its
> stand-alone flavour.

Is the point of this thread to discuss which date and time handling
modules have superior syntax, semantics, and implementation?  If so,
then the argument "that modules not included in the p5 core" isn't
relevant to the discussion.  That's like saying you think it's a bad
practice to use [n]curses because it's not included in libc.

-J