[PBP-pm] Working with dates

Bruce McKenzie bruce at 2MinuteExplainer.com
Wed Dec 21 15:16:41 PST 2005

I'm certainly no expert -- but some of the people who use your code
won't be, either. Until I started using the DateTime module, I always
had to review the documentation and scratch my head a lot to read or
write any code involving dates. Now, I only have to to look in the
DateTime dox every so often, and, occasionally, look up a timezone. I
strongly advise standardizing on DateTime, and use other modules only
when the need for speed or imprecision (Date::Manip understands "last
Wednesday") is paramount.

I *hadn't* thought about whys and wherefores of the "America/LosAngeles"
method before -- so I found the comment below interesting.

> Yes, although it's "America/Los_Angeles". It may seem strange, but
> think of it this way: If you set it to +0800, what time zone is that?
> Daylight savings or standard time? These things have an effect, even
> within an offset. Offsets should be considered, at best, a rough
> approximation. The Olson database is considered the standard, IIRC.

Cheers

Bruce