OxPM: Adding Perl Modules to my Web Site

Brian Smart brian.smart at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 15 10:10:24 CST 2003

Hello All,
I have been trying to add a module to my web site but when I try, I am told
(as part of the process) that my CPAN module needs to be updated to the
latest version. Presumably because I do not have the authority to update the
sever Perl files, it always fails. I have now tried to add the latest
version to my web site and in doing so had the following responses from the
server during the process.

[bsmart CPAN-1.65]$ perl Makefile.PL
Lib=/home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin
PREFIX=/home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin
Updating your MANIFEST file:
  Adding 'CPAN/MakeMaker.pm'
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for CPAN
[bsmart CPAN-1.65]$ make
cp lib/CPAN/FirstTime.pm blib/lib/CPAN/FirstTime.pm
Skip blib/lib/CPAN/MakeMaker.pm (unchanged)
cp lib/CPAN.pm blib/lib/CPAN.pm
cp lib/CPAN/Admin.pm blib/lib/CPAN/Admin.pm
cp lib/Bundle/CPAN.pm blib/lib/Bundle/CPAN.pm
cp lib/CPAN/Nox.pm blib/lib/CPAN/Nox.pm
cp scripts/cpan blib/script/cpan
/usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::MY" -e "MY->fixin(shift)" blib/script/cpan
Manifying blib/man3/CPAN::FirstTime.3
/usr/bin/pod2man: Invalid man page - no documentation in
lib/CPAN/FirstTime.pm
Couldn't install blib/man3/CPAN::FirstTime.3
Manifying blib/man1/cpan.1
/usr/bin/pod2man: Invalid man page - no documentation in scripts/cpan
Couldn't install blib/man1/cpan.1
Manifying blib/man3/CPAN::Admin.3
/usr/bin/pod2man: Invalid man page - no documentation in lib/CPAN/Admin.pm
Couldn't install blib/man3/CPAN::Admin.3
Manifying blib/man3/CPAN.3
/usr/bin/pod2man: Invalid man page - no documentation in lib/CPAN.pm
Couldn't install blib/man3/CPAN.3
Manifying blib/man3/Bundle::CPAN.3
/usr/bin/pod2man: Invalid man page - no documentation in lib/Bundle/CPAN.pm
Couldn't install blib/man3/Bundle::CPAN.3
Manifying blib/man3/CPAN::Nox.3
/usr/bin/pod2man: Invalid man page - no documentation in lib/CPAN/Nox.pm
Couldn't install blib/man3/CPAN::Nox.3
[bsmart CPAN-1.65]$ make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/loadme............ok
t/mirroredby........ok
t/Nox...............ok
t/vcmp..............ok
All tests successful.
Files=4,  Tests=39,  5 wallclock secs ( 4.96 cusr +  0.47 csys =  5.43 CPU)
[bsmart CPAN-1.65]$ make install
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/CPAN/MakeMaker.pm
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/CPAN/FirstTime.pm
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/CPAN/Admin.pm
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/CPAN/Nox.pm
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/CPAN.pm
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/Bundle/CPAN.pm
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/man/man1/cpan.1
Installing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/bin/cpan
Writing /home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/i386-linux/auto/CPAN/.packlist
Appending installation info to
/home/sites/www.bms.me.uk/web/cgi-bin/i386-linux/perllocal.pod
[bsmart CPAN-1.65]$

Does this look as though I have installed the module OK and if yes, how do I
ensure that I use it rather than the version on the server root when I try
to install other modules?

Please respond to this seemingly impossible request (from my point of view!)

Regards

Brian Smart