OxPM: Hello

Simon Whitaker simon at netcetera.org
Sun Mar 11 02:48:27 CST 2001

I subscribed to this list a month or so ago, and thought I'd drop a line
to say hi...

I'm a pharamcist by day, and recently moved from Cardiff to Bicester. At
the moment I'm working 2 days a week in the Horton hospital in Banbury
and 2 days a week in a community pharmacy in Kidlington.

By night and on my days off I'm a dyed in the wool anorak. I run a
website for pharmacists called Private-Rx (http://www.private-rx.co.uk/)
and it was as a result of a desire to make the site more dynamic that I
started learning Perl a few years ago. I followed the traditional route
of the trainee Perl Jedi - the Llama, then the Camel and the Bighorn
Sheep - all great books. I strayed outside the O'Reilly zoo a while back
and bought Effective Perl Programming by Joseph Hall and Randal Schwartz
(ISBN 0-201-41975-0) - a superb book. I read it over and over, and learn
something new each time. At the back there's a section of interesting
one liners. I particularly like this, which returns the lesser of $a and
$b:

  [ $a => $b ] -> [ $b <= $a ]

As the book points out, it can be written with less wasted technology,
but then it isn't nearly as pretty.

I do web design and development for a number of other organisations, and
a lot of my current work involves use of MySQL via the Perl DBI. If any
of you are doing DBI stuff (esp. DBI stuff in CGI scripts) you might be
interested to read an article at perl.com on the DBIx::Recordset module:

http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/02/dbix.html?wwwrrr_20010227.txt

Sounds like a great time-saver, I'll just have to find the time to get
my head around it.

Well, that's all from me for now. Tell me a little about yourselves if
you have a minute.

All the best,

Simon

--