OxPM: Encryption...

Peter Sergeant sargie at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 3 08:07:27 CST 1999

--------------------------------------
Oxford Perl Mongers, UK
--------------------------------------
Post to:          oxford-pm-list at hfb.pm.org
 Blame:          scapegoat at oxford.pm.org
 Flame:          someone else...
Disclaimer:
The views of "Peter Sergeant" <sargie at hotmail.com> are not necessarily (or usually) correct...
--------------------------------------

Mike wrote:
------------------
But then won't it take some time to encrypt and decrypt the message even if
you have the key?
-------------------

Possibly. But maybe that's the challenge. A prize of a pint at our next
meeting (I'm thinking in terms of a pub here) for the winner, judged by me?
It might also beinteresting to follow up on a simple encryption method I
devised when I was ten: Each letter that you use has ten different numbers.
One of these is picked randomly each time you want to write a letter.
However, this could be improved by each letter having a number of 'keys'
equal to its use in normal english prose. And the 7 or eight or whatever
digit password is used to generate these numbers, and then to make a
decoding key at the other end. Ideas on that front?

- Peter Sergeant
lets_play_at_being_top_secret_spies at oxford.pm.org