[Ottawa-pm] Modern Perl order done + meeting next week

Allan Fields allan.fields at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 17:46:06 PDT 2012

Me too.
I am quite busy so haven't the time to put in my order.

As for location: How about in a mall food-court that is not overly busy.
That is organization neutral but not as good as a meeting room.
Still, it is better than bar (not to make certain people sad, but I'm not a
fan of bar as much as foo).
In the end last time wqs enjoyable, so whatever.

One thing I was looking at recently was to bring a perl snippet of my own
project to a meetup, that would allow a demo.  Last time all I brought was
slides; no laptop, no code.  If I cannot come prepared, do they stand
benefit?  Would have perhaps liked to see the historiki presentation, but
i've been all booked up.

 Recently, I am in IT bigtime, not a lot or Perl code written.  The
exceptions are small projects and changing shebang and mail path on perl
scripts... Fun, but more nix than perl on this second contract!  But these
are some of the largest servers in Canada.  This says a lot of the
longetivity of perl lang.  While I haven't read in depth, a lot of the code
likely dates from mid-late 90s, and ran immediately on recent perl5 Linux
x86_64 from original Sparc Sun servers with older perl5.  (Perfect, no
script deltas that I am aware, using all core modules.)

One thing I am always concerned with is quality of Java code compared with
Perl, which runs rock solid, but isn't strictly typed.  While these days
Java crashes much less and developers do predominately good job handling
memory.. for a mission critical server, you'd hope they don't rely on
something heavily in a plugin which requires a lot of constant tweaking to
remain stable.

I've seen positive signs which shows Java based application servers less
prone to abend.  Even mod_perl used to be blamed in forums for eventually
causing Apache instability; yet I am sure it would have faired better in
good hands aware of mod_perl perf tuning.  I can't claim that is certainly
me, because though I've read about it, I've never done a large scale
mod_perl deployment beyond 20+ users on FreeBsd circa 2000 (it was rock
solid for me), I recall this due to compiling and reading tweaking that
didn't apply to my small site, but what would the consequences be for a
large server?

For now, I am not touching the Java web side myself, but have fun with Java
apps on my various assorted gadgets instead at home, as a user.  I do feel
a bit of a leech downloading all those free Java apps, but then I also pay
in appstore and don't complain.  The only equiv for perl is Cpan and
charge-per script sites, but Perl was there first.

Engadget anyone?
I know you want one, get your (next) Java gadget.
At least my OLPC runs Perl!

Thanks,
Allan Fields

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012, Yanick Champoux <yanick at babyl.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>        OnyxNeon got back to me, and our order of Modern Perl is almost on
its way.  I've ordered one more copy than the requested tally so far, to
preemptively counter-strike the usual post-ultimate "me too!". :-)

>        In other news, it's almost the end of the semester for our coop
students, and Mike Doherty will soon be leaving us (*sniff*). In
consequence... social meeting next Tuesday (Apr 24th) at the Pub Italia?
The date seems to be the most auspicious for peeps I consulted, and the
location is only set as such by the forces of inertia -- alternatives are
more than welcome . And sorry, I wanted to send that notice last week, but
ten billions germs decided to turn yours truly into a brainless ooze
factory before I could hit the 'send' button. :-(