[Ottawa-pm] meetings...

Allan Fields allan.fields at gmail.com
Sun May 8 03:08:48 PDT 2011

I vote for West.  (Though, I've become a bit shy lately.)

~

Firstly: I say not at a Pub, but somewhere quiet; where there is no
background music, there is library/professional meeting space and that is
public accessible to all the perl-drone sleeper agents geographically
distributed across this entire town, regardless of affiliation.  By keeping
it professional, I assume those that do end up attending will benefit and
want to come back.

Such meetings in the past have been held: where Andy did his talks on
various Perl data processing and others presented on Perl modules they were
making use of.  Those were excellent meet-ups, which extend the promise for
beneficial discourse.  Though it is not to be diminished the role of the
Perl awareness and the peer validation of ongoing utility even in casual
conversation.  The more hints that I can get on the use of Perl here in
Ottawa, the more likely I will consider that my time invested is not wasted;
this shows true, especially where the use of multiple languages could
distract from the practical scenarios where perl applies and has
demonstrated success.

I don't advocate all meetings have to be in a sterile meeting room where you
only get to lick chalk and the air is so dry that static electricity makes
your hair stand on end.  In some cultures it is incorrect to eat or drink in
a professional exchange as it would be considered rude.  Though I've done
just that here in North America, and some people even advocate Donuts and
Coffee at meetings.

The second type of venue I would support (once having exhausted the lecture
room): One where they serve caffeinated beverages and/or gelatos.

~

I am big on the "separation of cultural elements" theme, now that Ottawa is
so diverse, it only makes sense to remain reserved and mutually respectful.
 Since the focus of the meeting must remain Perl topics (hopefully
technical).

I always appreciate people organizing these events in Ottawa-Gatineau, but I
am the type of personality that doesn't mind "being alone", unless there is
a good reason to show my face and risk shame.  So it must to me, demonstrate
itself; the desired crossing-of-paths.  This is because I advocate for
independent thinking, though I appreciate knowledge exchange with-in
communities, especially that which can build the comfort level and motivate
others to independently continue exploring topics such as perl use.

Perl has not limits.. There are many fascinating and exciting applications
outside of the Web!  This is my cup of tea; the use of Perl in regular
system applications, outside of the dynamic web, outside of new online
communities and content processing systems.  Though I know there is a place
for you "webbies" and I encourage you present, I must follow my own path;
and so it follows my interests remain primarily outside this sub-discipline,
which for some is the most prevalent reason to use Perl.  Hence, it would
seem my contributions would remain on the topics I am most familiar, as
potential with all patrons of Perl.  But should the local Perl community
convince me, I might adopt Perl for the projects which I had considered
outside of my standing trajectory.

- AF