[Ottawa-pm] Repackaging Perl modules (was Wanted: 5 Perl Programmers)

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Sun Mar 6 06:51:36 PST 2011

On 03/03/11 Yanick Champoux said:

>     Mind you, installing your own perl doesn't preclude you to
> bundle that rogue instance as rpms. The gain is simply that those
> rpms install, say, to /opt/<your_company> instead of polluting the
> main system.
>
>     Now, if the Power That Is is telling you that you can't install
> in exotic locations, but can't disturb the main system either, well,
> in that case, you're a little bit caught in a Yossarian's situation.
> I recommend beginning to swim toward Switzerland. ;-)

Lets just say that it would have to be a last resort. Plus, it's a lot of
work, and I have plenty already.

>     True. At the price and size hard disk are nowadays, we wouldn't
> want to waste a full 100 megs needlessly.

Try in a vmware vapp where every meg of disk space allocated is criticized by
the customer. "disk space is cheap" is no longer true guys, sorry. Blame
virtualization and cheap customers. Not to mention the size of the download
for the install is also highly criticized, as we do all install/upgrades via
the Internet. And the storage area where those packages are stored is shared
space with other developers, and it's in huge, expensive disk arrays where
getting more space is cost prohibitive...

>     ... okay, okay, put down that rock. I know there are
> circumstances where HD space *is* a consideration -- I'm just taking
> the mickey of all the PHBs who recoil in horror at the thought of
> bundling a perl with their app, and yet turn around and don't see
> any problem whatsoever deploying java applications that weight twice
> that size.

I've made a career out of ridiculing java developers.

>     Mind you, you could already address part of the additional size
> issue by having a single codebase under '/opt/<your_company>' -- you
> don't duplicate for each application, and yet you free yourself from
> the system's code corset.

That would cut the problem down to a single extra interpreter, yes. Mind you,
that wouldn't help much with mod_perl, and other dependent technologies on the
system that were built against the distribution's perl.

Mike
--Albert Einstein